A picture a day is a worthy, wonderful, awesome blog project.

But that's not what I'm going to do. :)

I already have a ton of pictures. I don't think I need to take more just to have them on a blog. So, I'm going to take a different approach. I'm going to post pictures I've already taken and tell the story behind them.

I love pictures. I love people. And I love writing. Hopefully, this will work out well for all of us.

My goal is to publish one post a day. Some of the posts will be long. (I am prone to verbosity, after-all.) Some of them will be short. My wish is that each picture-story will help me share the ongoing story that is my life.

That and you'll think I'm cool. :)

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 51 - McAfee Knob

This picture was taken on the last of my backpacking trips.  This was September 23rd, 2005.  It was a warm day and there a nice breeze up on McAfee Knob - one of the AT's most photographed spots.  This was most definitely the longest backpacking trip I had taken - we hiked all day.  I can't remember now how far we actually hiked - but we walked along a very long ridgeline to spend the night at Tinker Cliffs.  You can see the ridgeline under the Knob - the cliffs are at the end.  I don't know if it's good or bad when you can stand on a vista and see where you are going.  I remember thinking "that looks really, really far away."

But Paul has hiked the entire AT before in one lump - so he's quite the expert.  Paul and I had also done a lot of hiking before so he knew my limitations.  Glenda is tough as rocks and had done far more backpacking and outdoor extremist activities than I had.  Paul had originally planned for us to make this a 2 nighter trip, incorporating Dragon's Tooth into the mixture, but for some reason we decided on a 1 nighter.   I'm really glad.  It was hard. 

Glenda is a nurse - and we set out on this adventure after she had worked an overnight 12 hour shift!  No sleep for her - just a brutal work-out of a hiking day.  She is so tough!

We had a feast of mac-n-cheese and tuna and then settled into our sleeping bags right there on the edges of Tinker Cliffs.  No tent.  No shelter.  Just a sleeping bag on the ground with a freaked-out dog next to me.  Neema and I again did not sleep that night - she kept growling at the deer and turkeys moving around behind us.  When we got up for breakfast, she crawled into my sleeping bag and passed out.

We hiked down a different way than how we came - I remember crossing over barbed-wire fences via these cool wooden stairs.  The AT winds through a lot of private land - and farmers seem ok with that as long as you don't mess anything up.

I also remember Paul's words "going up a trail is hard, but going down hurts."  That really is true.  

After a shower and a good meal - I also remember sleeping really, really well in my own bed.  :) 

So worth it, though. 


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment