A picture a day is a worthy, wonderful, awesome blog project.

But that's not what I'm going to do. :)

I already have a ton of pictures. I don't think I need to take more just to have them on a blog. So, I'm going to take a different approach. I'm going to post pictures I've already taken and tell the story behind them.

I love pictures. I love people. And I love writing. Hopefully, this will work out well for all of us.

My goal is to publish one post a day. Some of the posts will be long. (I am prone to verbosity, after-all.) Some of them will be short. My wish is that each picture-story will help me share the ongoing story that is my life.

That and you'll think I'm cool. :)

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 105 and 106 - CVC Springing Forward


I missed blogging yesterday - was working late (till about 10 or so.)  I wanted to get all my paperwork done as I took today off from work and am off tomorrow in preparation for working the weekend.

I'm not feeling the best - have been struggling with some old symptoms heartily for the past 10 days or so.  I had a phone consult with my doc this afternoon - and we've come up with a plan to get me feeling more normal, and hopefully soon.  :)

Since I didn't blog yesterday, I will make up for it with a substantial post today.  Because something substantial has happened in my life this week. 

I have blogged before about the place where I work, and it's pictured above in the snow.  BTW - it was snowing here this morning!!!  C'mon Spring - where did you go????  

But I haven't written that much about the man who started that practice - the man who hired me, trained me, grew me into the vet I am today, and accepted me into his family with open arms.  That man is Dr. Bruce Bowman and as of May 7th, he will no longer work at Commonwealth Veterinary Clinic. 

I remember well the day that new black sign in the picture above was placed in front of the clinic.  The previous wooden one had his name on it.  The new one did not.  It was a move on his part to start to separate his name from the practice's name - for he knew he would not always be the owner of CVC.  And he also knew he would not always be there. 

Even though I knew that, too - I remember wondering what I would feel like when the day came for him to leave.  I am beginning to feel that now.  It's a whole mix of emotions that I likely can not articulate into words. 

I mean, it is not like he is leaving because he doesn't love us anymore.  :)  And he is not leaving because he doesn't enjoy practice anymore.  We just had a vet student visit us and she stayed with him and his wife for the weekend while he was on-call.  Her thoughts on Dr. Bowman: "he loves vet med so much.  He loves everything in his life so much!"  And that really is a proper summary.  :) 

He's leaving because he has been recruited as the best man for the job to take on a position for the USDA - working for the state veterinarian's office.  He will be a field vet - doing all kinds of regulatory things that keep us and our food supply safe and healthy.  He has years of experience and a personality that handles people and challenges well.  They have wanted HIM for this position for a WHILE.  :)  

I'm so proud of him.

And I can hardly imagine what working at CVC without him will be like.  

He's been gone before - for vacations and hiking trips and for a month-long trip to India (which you can read about here.)  But with every departure there was always an understanding that it was temporary.  This has a finality to it.  Watching his office that has always been filled to the brim with hats, and animal skulls, and knick-knacks that clients and employees alike have gifted him with over the years, and coffee cups and magnets and books, and pens, and pictures and signs on the walls - watching that dwindle makes me sad. 

Watching his successor, Dr. Spencer Nice step boldly into his footsteps makes me proud.  Next to Bruce, there is no one else I would rather have leading me and the clinic.  

I love Bruce like a father and I love Spence like a brother.  I'm one of the really lucky ones that gets to work with people I consider family.

My very first day as an associate veterinarian at Commonwealth, Dr. Bowman walked me into a room with a client and introduced me as his new doctor.  After telling the client my name he then said 'isn't she beautiful?'  I will never ever forget the shock I felt at hearing those words.  Firstly, 'isn't she beautiful' - what on earth does that have to do with the price of tea in China???  Wouldn't a 'doesn't she look smart' have been more appropriate when introducing the new doctor in your practice???  Secondly, what kind of BOSS says that about an EMPLOYEE???  Isn't that kind of .....weird?

This was the first of MANY clues to let me know that Dr. B was going to become much more than a boss to me.  He is my friend.  He is my Papa B.  

And thirdly, though I have told him before, he will likely never be able to understand what impact that very simple question had on my heart.  It was not a phrase I had ever heard uttered in reference to me by any man of authority or respect in my life.  Ever. 

He and his wife, Nancy (who is an absolute gem that I completely adore!) took me into their home and family and made me feel like one of them right away.  They fed me dinner at LEAST twice a week those first few months (years?) I was in VA.  I became a part of their Easter and Thanksgiving celebrations.  I was invited to watch their daughter perform in the Nutcracker ballet and go to their son's soccer games and wrestling matches.  I got to know not only Bruce and Nancy, but their parents and siblings as well. 

They have listened to me, prayed for me, fed me, cared for me, encouraged and supported me on SO many life decisions.  From giving up on my old car and buying another one to buying my house - they have offered wisdom and guidance.  From going on blind dates to getting on eharmony - they have been a sounding board for my love life.  :)  The first guy I met on eharmony (it wasn't Matt!  It was a very nice fellow named Darren) actually drove from Ohio to visit me here in VA and he stayed with the Bowman's.  And I'll never forget that Dr. B had to work at the emergency clinic that night and wasn't even home!  He trusted ME enough to let a guy I was interested in stay at his home with HIS family when he wasn't around.  That's a bit crazy.

I'll also never forget the first time Matt did come to visit here in VA - I was in surgery and Dr. B had finished up for the day.  Bruce took Matt back to his office and had a very fatherly chat with him - the contents of that conversation I still do not have full knowledge of.  :)  I was completely mortified, though! 

They were so encouraging when I wanted to go on another mission trip - this time to Bangladesh.  They were excited for me and expected me to do well.  One of the mental images I will forever cherish is standing in the clinic in a circle with Bruce and Spencer as we held hands and they prayed over me. 

There simply is no way for me to write down all of the things he has done for me.  It just isn't possible.  I'm trying my hardest to capture the most important, but more keep coming to mind!

I used to call him on my days off when I'd go hiking (by myself) to tell him where I was going and what time I expected to be back.  He is an avid hiker and knows the area, so I would always check in with him when I was back so that if something happened to me and he didn't hear from me, he would come and find me.

I came to this job, this career, as a very uncertain and timid little gal.  Bruce is an excellent leader and he made all the right moves and said all the right things to allow me to grow and excel.  He allowed me to make mistakes while humbly telling me of his own.  He pushed me farther than I would have liked all the while being there for me when I really needed him.  He praised me like crazy to my face.  He praised me like crazy in other people's faces.  :)  His praise of me preceded almost every client interaction I had.  He definitely had more faith in me than I did in myself.....

He built this practice on several principles that I pray will never be abandoned.  I can still hear him saying some of the things he said to me that first year of practice.   1) Our job is about people.  Get to know our clients and their families and where they work and what they do for fun.  2) Our job is fun.  Animals are cool and we get to do some really cool things with/for them.  He has never lost his passion or zeal for this job after doing it for 20+ years.  3) The people we work with are family.  We must take care of each other. The majority of our staff have been there for over 5 years.  That is pretty rare in a vet clinic.  4) We are blessed - and giving to those who are not is important.  I can't tell you how many teams/projects/individuals our clinic supports financially.  5) Being involved in the community is very important.  Giving of your time is just as important as giving your money.  6) Teaching future students is a top priority of our practice.  We have high school students, college students, and vet students in our practice ALL THE TIME.  We go to elementary schools and pre-schools to talk about animals and vet med.  We work with girl scouts and 4-H groups to educate and train.  7) Life outside of work/family is way more important than work. 

All of these things I have seen Bruce not only say but live out.  Daily. 

He also sings and whistles a lot.  And loudly.  Spence is going to have to take over in those departments as my whistling and singing skills are lacking.  :)

He is one of the best cheerleaders someone like me could have ever asked for.  He has encouraged me to follow my passions since day one.

In my office hangs a plaque that has a $2 bill framed on it.  The engraved plate below it says "first professional $ earned as a DVM" and below that "may all of your other dreams come true." 

I stand behind him now, as his cheerleader, proudly watching him take his next step into new territory.  I am excited for him.  And I am going to miss him - so much.

Papa B - I love you.  May all of YOUR other dreams come true.  Thank you for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment