A picture a day is a worthy, wonderful, awesome blog project.

But that's not what I'm going to do. :)

I already have a ton of pictures. I don't think I need to take more just to have them on a blog. So, I'm going to take a different approach. I'm going to post pictures I've already taken and tell the story behind them.

I love pictures. I love people. And I love writing. Hopefully, this will work out well for all of us.

My goal is to publish one post a day. Some of the posts will be long. (I am prone to verbosity, after-all.) Some of them will be short. My wish is that each picture-story will help me share the ongoing story that is my life.

That and you'll think I'm cool. :)

Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 132 - A Chicken

This is a chicken that lives at the Humpback Rocks visitor center here in VA. I saw her a couple of years ago when Matt's sister, brother-in-law, and nephew were visiting.

I like chickens - always have.  I really hope to own some soon.  :)  I love the way they walk and the little noises they make.  The loud noises - not so much.  When I was in Africa, I rode in a car all day (8 hours or so) with a chicken on my lap.  It was a gift to us from the people whose cattle we had taken care of and she was to be a meal for one of the village pastors in the area.  She was a nice chicken.  She did not poop on me once.

The other day I was called out to visit a new client whose horses had gotten into a bit of a kicking match.  As I was standing in the field looking at the first horse and talking to the owner - I glanced over my shoulder to see a large red chicken coming towards me.  As I have told this story several times, I have usually done the motions and noises of the chicken.  I just can't replicate that in text.  :)

I did not think much of the chicken and continued my exam and conversation.  The next thing I knew, there was a faint tapping on the side of my calf.  I looked down and the chicken was lightly pecking me!!!  I asked the owner what on earth she was doing and I was told "giving you chicken kisses!"

This hen was soon joined by two others - the three of them stood around me - pecking me repeatedly.  They did not do it firmly - it did not hurt at all.  I asked if they were tame and when the owner said 'yes' I reached down and petted the first hen and then picked her up.  Such a nice chicken!

I went into the next pasture to look at the other horse and the chickens followed me.  As soon as I stood still, all three of them began pecking me again.  It was hilarious!  I just kept wondering "what ARE they doing?"  What, in their little minds, did they think they were accomplishing.  Did I appear like food?

I continued to ask questions about them and was quite shocked to learn that they had once been commercial layers.  Their beaks were trimmed (probably why the pecking did not hurt) and they were cage raised.  Pretty amazing that they are now so friendly and tame considering they were not hand raised at all.

After finishing with the horses, the owner showed me her 'babies.'  She had about 30 chicks that were a week old.  So many different breeds!  I really liked this one tiny little bantam - and it seemed to like me. I wanted to bring it home but fear my cats would enjoy that a little TOO much.   I can't remember what kind it was - it was very tiny and black.  She got all of her chicks from the Murray McMurray Hatchery. This little one was half the size of the rest of the chicks and he (or she) kept coming up and pecking me.  Too cute!

I have no idea what kind of chicken is in my picture. Anyone know?


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. That would be a Barred-Rock (Barred Plymouth Rock) hen! :) Known for their dual-purpose, hardiness, and good temperament...it'd be a good one for your backyard, when you're ready to have some! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother had chickens and I am afraid I have some not so pleasant moments with "the chickens" and the chicken house. I dreaded the words "Mitzi, go gather the eggs." It was OK if the hen had left the nest, but a totally different story if she was still sitting there. And if you have never been chased by a mad chicken, well let's just say they are pretty darn fast.

    ReplyDelete