A picture a day is a worthy, wonderful, awesome blog project.

But that's not what I'm going to do. :)

I already have a ton of pictures. I don't think I need to take more just to have them on a blog. So, I'm going to take a different approach. I'm going to post pictures I've already taken and tell the story behind them.

I love pictures. I love people. And I love writing. Hopefully, this will work out well for all of us.

My goal is to publish one post a day. Some of the posts will be long. (I am prone to verbosity, after-all.) Some of them will be short. My wish is that each picture-story will help me share the ongoing story that is my life.

That and you'll think I'm cool. :)

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 137 - The 'No Fear' Hole

I've mentioned before that my buddy, Bob has taken me on many outdoor adventures.  This was one of them and am pretty sure this picture was taken by him. 

This was during my 3rd year of vet school (I think) and Bob and my classmate, Chad and I went spelunking. It was a cave that Bob had been to before.  I don't even remember where it was.....

But I do remember this picture.  Bob and I were telling the story to Matt and my brother on our recent trip to D.C.  Not that I had forgotten about it, but it was fun to retell the story and hear it from Bob's perspective.

We had been exploring the cave for a while when we came to this tiny little opening.  To the right of it the words "No Fear" were spray painted on the wall with an arrow pointing to the gap.  Bob and Chad were too big to fit into it so they urged me to.  I had to remove my helmet (which had my flashlight strapped on it) in order to fit in.  I went feet first and had to bend my body around to the left in order to get in. 

Once I was in, there was a little more room and I was able to sit up and shine the light towards my feet.  There was a tunnel of sorts that sloped down maybe 20 feet or so and then there was a bend to the right.  I obviously could not see what was around the bend, and I did not venture to find out. 

Bob and Chad urged me to explore it - but I just couldn't.  We did not have a rope and I just am not THAT brave in a tiny, dark, space that is a huge unknown. 

As I started inching myself back out of the hole, I got stuck. 

Panic ensued.

But only for a bit.  I was able to get myself calm and wiggle out of there.  I was very, very relieved.

Bob has said to me before I ever went in that it was ok if I got stuck - I would eventually get smaller from starvation and dehydration and then get un-stuck.  Heh.

Chad really seemed to enjoy the spelunking.  Every time I turned around he was off somewhere else - exploring away.

I'm not claustrophobic, per se, but I do feel much better knowing that I'm going through a cave that has previously been explored and an exit point does exist.  :) 

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of Winnie the Pooh when he got stuck and had to wait for his waist-line to shrink before he could get out of his hole! LOL! Glad you lived to tell the tale! :)

    ReplyDelete